Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cooking

I absolutely LOVE watching cook shows on Saturday and Sunday morning.  I  write down the recipes and try and cook them later in the week. I also love to learn new cooking techniques. Anyways, this morning I wanted to try my new avocado technique. The idea is to cut the avocado into two halves and one half will have the seed still in it. You then take your knife and slam it into the seed, it sticks and you just pull it out. You then have 2 perfect halves, sounds simple enough right. My first attempt of sticking the knife in the seed didn't work, so I really put some muscle behind it the second time. End result was the knife slipping and slicing my thumb open,  the  knife went flying in the air, and the see flew 5 feet into the laundry room. The funny thing is I saw the whole thing happening in slow motion yet tried it anyways. 

That was really the only exciting thing that happened to me today. It was a pretty boring day of work, so I'll go back to my cooking obsession.

If you love to cook, Saturday and Sunday mornings have some of the very best shows. I've always been a pretty good cook, but my goal is to one day be as good as my mom. My mom can open the fridge, take a look around and then can come up with the most wonderful meal out of nothing with no recipe. I can "kind of" come up with my own meals, but I still have to check a recipe every now and then. I really want to take a class on spices someday. 
Some of my favorite shows are the following:
Paula Deen (Saturday mornings): her stuff always looks amazing but loaded with calories and fat, so you have to watch those. She is hilarious to watch though.
But....her son Bobby Dean has a new show where he takes his mom recipes and makes them low fat. IT AWESOME!!! One great tip of his is to use greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mayonnaise. 
Pioneer Woman (Saturday 8:30 central): Her stuff is usually pretty easy but makes big servings. Her show started from her blog!
Rachel Ray (Saturday 7:30 central): I swear this woman uses every pot and utensil in her kitchen when she cooks, so it might be 30 minute meals, but it's about an hour of clean up. One great tip of hers: She always gets a big bowl out and instead of running to the trash every 5 minutes, she just throws all he garbage in the bowl. 
Trisha Yearwood (Saturday, 9:30): Her cooking reminds me so much of my mom's cooking. She is actually really funny and her recipes are easy but delicious.

I will definitely be posting some of my favorite recipes. 


2 comments:

  1. yes your mom can take any assortment of ingredients and make a great meal - she is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start cooking more! I haven't seen Bobby Dean's show... that sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete