Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Car Anxiety the real story

So I said from the beginning, I wanted to keep this blog honest! I'm a tell it like I see it kind of gal and I've never really been much of a sugar coater. I really want to keep my stories true: the good, the bad, and the down right UGLY.
That being said, this is the story of the first car ride to Mobile with the dog.
We started the drive off and all seemed to be going just fine. About 20 minutes into the drive, Oliver started getting very anxious, so we thought maybe he had to pee. We stopped, walked around and nothing. We get back in the car and it just got worse and worse and worse.
The ENTIRE 7 hours to Mobile and back to Nashville, Oliver jumped from my lap to Jordan's lap to the back seat. He was panting so hard his entire body was wet and OMG it smelled. It smelled like a sweaty, dirty dog. We tried everything to calm him down and NOTHING WORKED.
This is just one of the conversations we had:
Jordan: "I can't take it anymore, we are leaving him at the next stop"
Chrissy: "Jordan we can't just leave him"
J: "Seriously, put the DAMN DOG IN THE TRUNK"
C: "WE CAN'T PUT HIM IN THE TRUNK, JORDAN!!!"
J: "STOP SCREAMING AT ME"
C: "I'M NOT SCREAMING AT YOU, I'M JUST FRUSTRATED, WHAT DO WE DO?"
J: "WELL, YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO"
C: "THE DOG WHISPER SAYS HE CAN SENSE OUR ANXIETY, WE NEED TO CALM DOWN"
C: "I TOLD YOU I NEVER WANTED A DOG"
J: "I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS GOING TO BE CRAZY!"
J: "WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE HIM IN MOBILE"
C: "FINE WITH ME!"
At this point, we have been dealing with this for about 5 hours and we were both beyond frustrated.
I then started crying........
J: "What's wrong?"
C: "I'm gonna be a terrible mother"
J: "What are you talking about"
C: "Sometimes children cry all the time and sometimes on long car rides, what if we have child one day that cries all the time and cries the entire trip, I can't take a dog being this annoying, how am I going to take a child" "I'm gonna be a horrible mother"
J: "Stop being so dramatic, you are not going to be a terrible mother"
J: "I'm pretty sure you love your children enough though to put up with this crap"
This is what we did on and off all the way to Mobile.

Towards the end of the trip back to Nashville, we figured out that he would calm down if he sat directly behind your neck against the headrest. That is exactly where he sat for last 2 hours on the way back.

Looks so sweet and innocent, doesn't he?





No comments:

Post a Comment